Annual General Meeting:
The Diocesan Youth Council AGM took place at the South Court Hotel, Limerick on Saturday 25th May. After various reports followed by discussion the elections were held. The following were elected to the committee for the forthcoming year:
- Chairperson – Nicola Downes (Castletown Parish)
- Treasurer – Edward Hardy (Banagher)
- Secretary – Andrew O’Brien (Castleconnell)
- Public Relations Officer – Valerie Walker (Croom)
- Newslink Correspondent – Kate O’Brien (Castleconnell)
- Limerick Representatives – Kieran Sparling (Limerick City), Craig Copley Brown (Limerick City)
- Killaloe Representatives – Grace Langley, Vacant *1
- Ardfert Representatives – Ciara Fitzell, Vacant *1
- Board of Mission Representative – Rev. Charles McCartney (Clonfert Group)
- Ordinary Committee Members – Beverly Callendar (Kilpeacon), Canon Jane Galbraith (Roscrea), Vacant * 3
The following are also members of the committee:
- President – The Venerable Wayne Carney (Birr)
- Villiers School Representative – Awaiting Confirmation
- Diocesan Council – Awaiting Confirmation
Diocesan Confirmation & Senior Adventure Weekend:
This time around we merged our Diocesan Confirmation Weekend and our Senior Adventure Weekend. The weekend took place in Muckross Youth Centre, Killarney, Co. Kerry from Friday the 31st May to Monday the 3rd June.
During our Worship and Teaching times we looked at and shared what our personal passions were and shared them with the group present. We were then encouraged to be passionate about our relationship with God. A number of the leaders including Alec Perrott shared his faith journey and his passion for God. We also looked at importance of prayer in our lives and were encouraged to talk with God on a daily basis. All present were involved in writing prayers and were encouraged by how easy it could be to have a conversation with God on a daily basis. Also the group shared their personal favourite bible verse and were also encouraged to take up reading their bible on a regular basis and useful tips on starting points. Finally over the weekend all were encouraged to be part of a church community and the importance of been part of a such a community.
We also had a great trip to Cappanalea Outdoor Education Centre on Saturday where we participated in rock climbing, abseiling and kayaking. On the Sunday we attended church in St Mary’s Church, Killarney. We made our way to Ballyhass Lakes Adventure Centre where we ziplined across Ballyhass Lakes of 160m. All smiles around when we had fun on the Aquapark and it was great to see team bonding exercises with the crate staking. Monday morning, we decided to go for a walk through Muckross Farm which included a petting farm which was enjoyed by all. Overall, a great weekend was had by all the young people and leaders who attended.